Tuesday 8 May 2007

Chick Lit

One of my greatest comic regrets is that I passed up the opportunity to buy a big box of Chick tracts from Gosh comics last year. I hovered over them for about five minutes but decided against parting with my cash. When I returned a week later someone else had bought them. Damn their fucking eyes to hell!

I doubt Gosh will ever get another box in. Who knows what these nasty little booklets were doing in the shop anyway, I'd seen a couple before but never in a comic shop which contains nothing but stuff that Jack Chick would do his nut over.

If you haven't heard of Jack Chick, then you should check out his work, it's a scary look into the mind of a religious bigot but for all its creepiness it's also damn funny.

My own personal favourite of his many tracts is Dark Dungeons. Genius, if only I'd known all this before I picked up The Warlock of Firetop Mountain back in the day.

I'm tempted to add Chick's list of tracts to linkorama, but I'm not sure I could cope with something that nasty being permanently grafted onto my blog. Come to think of it that's what stopped me buying that box from Gosh in the first place - there's something evil about them thar Chick tracts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. I stumbled onto your post just now and figured you might enjoy what I call Chick Dissections, in which I take Chick's Tracts and do a panel-by-panel, MST3K-style commentary, with logical/philosophical arguments against whatever message each Tract is trying to propagate.

You can find them by clicking here.

If you do check them out, please feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think. I've been making them a more regular feature on the site, so you can expect relatively frequent updates if you end up enjoying them.

If you're really looking to get your hands on some Tracts, you can usually find them on college campuses, at airports, and in subway stations. I live in NYC, and there's usually some dude down in the Times Square underground pathways with a little table set up handing them out. I grabbed a handful last time I was there.

Anonymous said...

P.S. - If you don't want to add a link to Chick's Tracts themselves, you're more than welcome to add a link to my Dissections instead. ;)

</blatant_self_promotion>

Dom Sutton said...

Ha Ha. Loved your dissection of Dark Dungeons. Fighting the zombie as a euphemism for masturbation - genius. Also massive props to the guy in the comments section who set out 9 reasons why panels 1+2 couldn't possibly be a real game of D&D.

Going to work my way through the rest of your dissections NOW.

Cheers

Dom