Friday 18 May 2007

Drowning in comics

After promising myself I wouldn't read 52 or Civil War I suddenly find myself attempting to read both in their entirety at the same time. All this as I continue to plough through Miracleman and finally get round to reading Elk's Run. Of course there are all my regular comics too, not to mention the fact that Ultimates #13 hit the shops today - an event which was supposed prompt me to sit down and read volume 2 in one sitting. I need to prioritise.

So far (and I'm only up to issue 4) 52 looks superb, which surprises me. I've heard a few people say it lags a bit in the middle, but the opening shots have me hooked and, while I wish I didn't know what happens in the end, I have to say I would've had my suspicions just from looking at the opening page of issue 1. For the record I have no problem with the return of the DC multiverse especially if it creates more good stories.

I've hit issue 4 of Civil War and yeah, I'm still cynical, but you know it's by Mark Millar and he's numero uno as far as I'm concerned. I'm wondering how the hell Marvel are going to dig themselves out of the hole they've dug themselves into with the series though - hopefully not with some kind of silly reset where none of this really happened. I heard someone on the Comic Geek Speak podcast the other day suggesting that the Hulk was going to completely destroy the world of the mainstream Marvel Universe leaving the Ultimate U as Marvel's main line. Now that would be brave...not to mention stupid.

Elk's Run is a gem. Waco meets Stand By me. The characters are as well written as any I've read in a long time and it's a genuine page turner. There's no doubt in my mind that this book will end up on the big screen. Pick it up before Hollywood ruins it.

No comments: