Saturday 13 September 2008

Gilbert Shelton at Gosh!

To Gosh! for the Gilbert Shelton signing. Another fine event from London's finest comic shop!

Queues were long, as was the waiting time, but with good reason - not only was Shelton signing The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Omnibus, he was providing everyone in attendance with a free sketch.

Here's mine...

I'm very happy with it.

Quite how Shelton managed to do so many sketches without his hand turning blue I don't know. I asked him if he was in pain, but he just shook his hand and said it wasn't about to fall off yet! He went on to explain that shaking one's hand means something quite different in France (where he now lives) than it does over here. That's what he's talking about at the beginning of the video below. It was shot on my mobile phone so it's not the best quality, but it does show a PROPER LEGEND in action, and he's drawing a picture for me, HUZZAH!

By the way, as delighted as I am to be able to share Shelton's thoughts on Cheech and Chong with you, I'm also extremely embarrassed by my woeful attempts to talk American history with him. Quite why Teddy Roosevelt came into my head, I don't know. I wish I'd just kept my stupid mouth shut. Please pretend you can't hear me and just enjoy a comics master at work...

1 comment:

mr wheatley said...

its like a counter culture version of tony hart