Wednesday 19 November 2008

Look what I got....

Yes, SEA-MONKEYS! Purchased at Woolies for a fiver. Oh man, I am so excited. Nothing, and I mean nothing, blew my mind like those old Sea-Monkey adverts they used to have in American comics when I was a lad....

Obviously I chose to ignore the small print and believe that Sea-Monkeys looked like the creatures in the ad and not the frankly unimpressive pieces of floating debris that they actually are. This made it quite disappointing when I finally got my eight-year old hands on some.

Nevertheless, I convinced myself that if you were to put them under a microscope these dull looking plankton would actually be revealed as grinning fleshy sea people. Imagine how distressed I was when I came home to find my dog had drunk them. Dark days chums, very dark days.

No matter, I have a chance to erase those painful memories with my new set of aquatic pets. The water is purifying as we speak. Tomorrow I give them LIFE!

4 comments:

Alex said...

Good luck! I've got the touch of death when it comes to pets - I've killed frogs, fish and sea monkeys (three batches, one lot hemetically sealed in a glass egg designed to be taken to Mars) even after following the instructions! Funnily enough, Eddie Campbell is discussing creating a fictional alter ego for the Sea Monkeys advert art on his blog at the moment...

Anonymous said...

I got a kitten recently. She ripped two pages out of a volume of The Walking Dead I borrowed from a friend.

I imagine you will not have similar problems with your sea monkeys.

- Random Glasgow Man or whatever I called myself last time, it's increasingly hard to remember.

Dom Sutton said...

Alex - have you ever considered that this talent for killing pets might be some sort of superpower?

RGM - I will keep my comics well away from the Sea-Monkeys. Good to hear from you again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dom, I also have a touch of the Grim Reaper syndrome. Children's tears flowed freely at the premature deaths of tropical fish, sea monkeys and 3 guinea pigs. My daughter is desperate for a dog, my comic collection and myself, needless to say are not!