Monday 26 April 2010

Yesterday's comics tomorrow!

Greetings imaginary web chums. It's new comic day tomorrow!
New comics on Tuesday?
Well, newish comics. Last week's to be precise.
As I'm sure you know, the great volcano has finally stopped spouting its ashy spooge all over our airspace, and the comic planes have taken to the sky once more. They drop their payloads on Blighty tomorrow. Joy unconfined!
As yet there is no word on when this week's books will reach our shores. No matter, here's what I'll be picking up from last week's delayed arrivals...

Gravel #18
Some day I will sit down and read this series in its entirety. I've fallen horribly behind on it, which makes no sense given how much I like it. The old problem with all Warren Ellis's Avatar books is still there - namely that the main character is actually Warren Ellis (or at least a version of Warren Ellis) - but that doesn't make the book bad. I like its Brit noir/occult feel and the dark humour that bubbles under the surface. Might sit down and read the lot this week actually.

Green Lantern #53
Blackest Night is done with. T'was alright as events go. The last issue of the mini was actually very good; an exciting, satisfactory resolution to the story. Yeah, we all knew the White Lantern thing was going to happen, but it was still handled well. All the gubbins with Sinestro sets things up nicely for Green Lantern proper too.

I have to say, that I'm less in love with Green Lantern than I was a year ago, but it remains one of my favourite mainstream spandex titles. Now that we've finally put all the zombie shenanigans to bed I'm hopeful that it can start to pick up speed again.

Joe The Barbarian #4
I've heard a few whispers from folk who haven't been enjoying this. Nothing hugely critical. Just the odd moan that it's all been done before. Strange, I think it's top notch. The writing is beautiful, much gentler than Morrison's usual style. The art is really special, and the reveal at the end of issue three has me excited about issue 4.
Guaranteed to be read on the day of purchase.

Rebels #15
Great super-powered space opera with a suitably large cast - this is a series that takes some effort to follow in monthly format. I've fallen slightly behind and could do with a bit of a refresher before I pick it up again. If you haven't checked it out, it's well worth picking up in trade. The revamp of Starro is one of the great villain reboots of recent years.

1 comment:

pulpsfromthebothy said...

Usually avoid Morrison but Joe the Barbarian has been brilliant, can't wait to get my mitts on it tomorrow.